JOB DESCRIPTION Organization profile
Every year, millions of people around the world go missing as a result of conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, irregular migration, and other causes. This is a complex global challenge that can be tackled effectively through cross-cutting programs that address a variety of difficult, interconnected issues.
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons. It works with governments and other stakeholders, including families of the missing, to help them develop and maintain successful missing persons processes. To learn more about ICMP please visit www.icmp.int.
Corporate Services Department
The Corporate Services Department is responsible for all financial and administrative operations, including those covering accounting, finance, human resources, procurement, logistics, and information technology.
ICMP is embarking on transitioning from the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) to the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS). ICMP seeks qualified individuals to assist with this transformation for a period of 12 months.
Planning and forecasting is a process for determining and mapping out financial goals and objectives. This position will participate in adoption and implementation of annual / rolling planning and forecasting process to create precondition financial accounts reporting under IPSAS.
Outcomes of the position:
- Set up quality control and continuous improvement in the process of internal and external reporting under IPSAS
- Daily reconciled and balanced GL accounts in accordance with valid accounting standards
- Aligned internal and external reports (accounting vs. financial)
- Implementation of improvements and simplification to automate the accounts payable process (precondition for accounting process digitalization)
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Financial Accounting and Reporting, the Reconciliation and Reporting Associate’s duties and responsibilities will include, but will not necessarily be limited to,the following:
- Perform reconciliations of entries recorded in the accounting system (payments, receipts, payables, receivables, accruals, releases, foreign currency exchanges, etc)
- Perform reconciliations on the internal accounts – intercompany transactions (cash transactions, payment agency transactions, etc)
- Quality control of pf automated payments under the IPSAS reporting system
- Collect information on VAT receivables, prepare regular requests for VAT reimbursement, and monitor the status of tax receivables.
- Prepare reports highlighting the reconciliation results as an input for KPIs
- Investigate and report the outstanding transactions, prepare a list of corrections, and track the discrepancies until are resolved
- Generation of different reconciliation reports from the accounting system and review in comparison to IPSAS
- Active participation in working groups for accounting policies and manuals development
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Economics
- Minimum 1 year of financial accounting experience
- Experience in working with accounting systems i.e. Exact Online or any other accounting system
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel and data processing tools
- Ability to recognize problems and data inconsistencies, to identify key information on the cause, to make connections between data/information
- Ability to manage deadlines and to establish priorities in accordance with standard accounting reporting calendar (month/quarter/annual close)
- Previous experience with accounting processes digitalization is desirable
- Learning agility and “Can Do” attitude
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Bosnian, Croatian, or Serbian;
- Proficiency in other Microsoft applications, including Word, Access and Power Point;
- Proven ability to interact positively with colleagues regardless of culture, nationality or gender;
- Ability to travel at short notice and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings;
- Commitment to the underlying objective of helping the authorities and families of the missing to account for missing persons in an impartial and transparent manner.
This is a full-time position with a competitive base salary at the L5 on the ICMP Western Balkans salary scale, generous paid leave and extensive health insurance benefits for the incumbent. The position is planned to be based in Sarajevo.
This position is not eligible for expatriate allowances.
VN close date: 15 October 2023, review of applications on the ongoing basis. If you are interested in this position, please apply early and via this link:
Expected start date: ASAP
ICMP is committed to maintaining an environment of mutual respect, where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. ICMP believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff are critical to our success as a global organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented individuals from a thoroughly diverse range of candidates. ICMP is proud to be part of the International Gender Champions network.
ICMP may cancel this recruitment without notice, or may decide to offer a position with different duties and/or contract length.